Sunday, October 12, 2008

facebook

so, i signed up for facebook after my sister did. i set the whole thing up and participated in a few rounds of scrabble with my sister and then i forgot about it. i get e-mail regarding it a lot. i've found a couple of people i hadn't thought of since high school. my girl rashida mungin found me and she lives in new york now. i'm glad to have re-connected with her. but i've been found by people i don't remember. nothing triggers any kind of memory. rhonda perez for example. nope. not sure. she told me she was a blast from the past but i'm still not sure. i'll sit on it for a while. i've blocked out a lot of my school memories -- most of them are/were unpleasant. so the question is, do i accept the rhonda perez's out there and hope when we start communicating i'll remember? wouldn't it be horrible if i never remembered? that could get tricky. hmmm. plus, i have to be honest, i don't really "get" facebook. i don't understand it. all the flair and plants and food. i do like the idea of finding people there. so i'll keep it so people can keep finding me. i don't know how to find people so i'll let them come to me. see ya on facebook.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree - I started it sort of as a lark and constant bugging from some friends at the kids school. Now I have reconnected with some people from high school - some good - David Miranda - some indifferent Michelle Bell - some not so good - Rick Pyle!!!!! What do you say when some requests to be your friend...and they know who you are and are friends with others you are friends with. Will you get harrassed in cyberspace by these people? I was a little freaked and accepted the friend request but am totally going to be careful about what I post on it...you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you on not getting facebook, I try but I can't even figure out how to play scrabble so you have me beat. However, I am on myspace and have been found by people who would have never spoken to me back in highschool because I was too weird, but now for some reason would like to be myspace friends. The question for me is.. Ok we're myspace friends but say I ran into you at Target... would we acknowledge each other???? Maybe they think I'm more normal now.. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran into the same dilema a while back. I just accepted (although one night I was on and she sent me an instant message and I totally ignored her b/c I couldn't remember her from high school at all). Sometimes I think these social websites are just a popularity contest..I have more friends than you..type of thing.

    However, the novelty of Facebook has worn off and I'm not on there unless I receive something..this happened to me with MySpace too. But I'm glad that the family has been able to use this medium as a way to keep connected! I have to say that I am glad that I reconnected with a couple of old friends though. It's amazing how you can just pick up where you left off, like there was no time lost in between.

    Caryn, that picture you had of the McPalin's was funny!!! Was that in your neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete