Thursday, February 26, 2009

25

so you know that facebook is now just a place for us to do survey's and tell the world random things about ourselves. here is the 25 random things about me...

25. i rarely feed myself at home.
24. i fall down. a lot.
23. i moved to portland because i was so in to the riot grrrrl/diy/third wave feminism movements and portland seemed like ground zero.
22. i still adore sleater-kinney, the greatest rock and roll band ever.
21. i hate curry.
20. i miss my nephews and neice more than anything.
19. i have an entire story made up in my head about my neighbor and her 3 sexual partners. [our bedrooms butt up to one another and they all park right in front of my door. volvo, audi and explorer. one man, two women. i think i'm pretty spot on. explorer and her have just gotten a puppy together! what? volvo was just over last weekend ... THE ENTIRE WEEKEND! oh the drama at paxson court!]
18. i love to organize stuff. anything. making sure the cd's were all in the right place used to be a favorite - you know by artist and then within that artist, by year of record release. by last name or band name and numbered bands (i.e. 10.000 maniacs) first. right?
17. i count stairs. i thought this was ok until sharon told me it was a little ocd. yeah. probably. 28 stairs to the office (14 to the landing, 14 more to the top). 13 stairs to RSQ basement. 6 steps to sharon and diane's front door. i could go on. maybe it's a little ocd.
16. i don't think i'm ocd.
15. i've struggled with depression my entire live and i've been in therapy on and off for...wow, could it be 10 years? eeek! my most recent therapist, jamie, is the best.
14. don't tell anyone. i'm gay.
13. i have a mad crush on smarty pants rachel maddow.
12. i don't have that burning desire to have children. i don't suppose i ever will.
11. i've had a love/hate relationship with my cat going on 12 years. i love that cat and i have the scars to prove it!
10. i think in the next 8 years our world and way of life will change drastically - thanks to our new leader, president barack obama.9. i've wanted to learn the drums since i was a child.
8. i've attempted to start smoking cigarrettes because all of my friends did in college. it never took. it made me want to barf. i sure am glad now, as i've watched many of my friends struggle to quit.
7. if i'm home, the girls are loose and i'm in soft pants or pjs.
6. i was 3 shy of sending this to 25 people.
5.i have a fantasy basketball team called theTALLsocks and a fantasy football team called devilboyfeet. both suck.
4. i love the nba. basketball, sport of kings. i can geek out about basketball for a long time. i talk about it to people who don't give a shit. i can't help it. my friends are totally awesome as they just zone out and say "awesome, bear" and let me have my joy of spreading the good word!
3. i have an amazing relationship with my sister and my parents. my parents have been married for 40 years and were such awesome parents growing up. they really let me and my sister be our own people and god knows we couldn't be more different. but my parents celebrate our diversity and that makes me warm and fuzzy inside. i am in awe of my sister every time i'm at their house for a visit. i don't know how she does it. whenever i'm there i'm exhausted by the end of the day - and i'm just playing auntie!
2. my nickname, care bear, was given to me by the queen of nickname giving sharon. it morphed into bear shortly thereafter. i knew i was bear when i heard it hollered out to me on the street. it's just who i am now. i have my own call too thanks to diane!
1. i am deathly afraid of flying but dream of travel.

pretty random, huh? one that i left out was that i know the lyrics to, like, every song ever. i also sing without really knowing i'm doing it. sharon and di pointed it out to me whilst we were in bend together. they said i never stopped. i told them to just tell me to shut it.
ok, back to the topic. so yesterday i got the 25 influential records note. of course i had to...

1. 'i do not want what i haven't got' by sinead o'connor ...
2. 'rumors' by fleetwood mac ...
3. 'dig me out' by sleater-kinney ...
4. 'from the choirgirl hotel' by tori amos ...
5. 'blue' by joni mitchell ...
6. 'american idiot' by green day ...
7. 'lay it down' by cowboy junkies ...
8. 'car wheels on a gravel road' by lucinda williams ...
9. 'girlfriend' by matthew sweet ...
10. 'honey i'm homely!' by dance hall crashers ...
11. 'in my tribe' by 10.000 maniacs ...
12. 'stories from the city, stories from the sea' by pj harvey ...
13. 'madonna' by madonna ...
14. 'exile in guyville' by liz phair ...
15. 'music for the masses' by depeche mode ...
16. 'automatic for the people' by r.e.m. ...
17. 'ten' by pearl jam ...
18. 'the innocents' by erasure ...
19. 'pretty hate machine' by nine inch nails ...
20. 'the tigers have spoken [live]' by neko case ...
21. 'savage' by eurythmics ...
22. 'indigo girls' by the indigo girls ...
23. 'shooting rubberbands at the stars' by edie brickell & new bohemians ...
24. 'so' by peter gabriel ...
25. '99.9 farenheight [degrees]' by suzanne vega ...
honorable mentions:'our beloved revolutionary sweetheart' by camper van beethoven ... 'funeral' by the arcade fire ... 'rock steady' by no doubt ... 'medusa' by annie lennox ... 'recollection: the best of concrete blonde' by concrete blonde ... 'ophelia' by natalie merchant ... 'harmacy' by sebadoh ... 'little earthquakes' by tori amos ... 'louder than bombs' by the smiths

so, 2 people (you know who you are) busted my chops for having more than 25 records. look, i have 13.5 days of music on my iPod - how do you expect me to choose just 25? in re-reading my list i missed, at the very least, 'standing in the way of control' by the gossip, 'learning to crawl' by the pretenders, 'parallel lines' by blondie', 'the joshua tree' by U2 and 'flyer' by nanci griffith. i could go on. but i'll spare you.

so, carla lost top chef. i loved carla. i dug her from the beginning but never thought she would make it to the end. she's not the typical top chef contender. i thought she was so authentic. she said in the finale that she wanted to show another way to compete - to compete with love. and she totally did. she was never malicious and always grateful to win. she won on flavor and soul and comfort food. i'm sorry that she failed to show it in the finale. i think she could have beaten either men. i think she's better for not winning. way to go carla!

3 comments: